An Overview of Popular Casino Table Games
Casino table gaming has been a part of mainstream videogames since the very beginning, dating all the way back to 1972 with the Magnavox Odyssey‘s inclusion of Roulette (and yes, that’s Atari’s 1977 Blackjack game for the Atari 2600 VCS in this blog post’s header!). However, for those who aren’t exactly familiar with the basics of the most popular casino table games, we thought it was high-time we provided a overview of some of the available options.
Blackjack, also known as 21, is one of the most popular card games in the entire world. It is different from most card games in that you won’t be playing against other players. Instead, your objective is to make the dealer lose.
There are a couple of ways to meet this objective. They include:
- Get a total of 21 points with your first few cards, also known as blackjack.
- Get a final score that’s higher than the dealer without going over 21.
- Make the dealer go bust, i.e., draw cards until the dealer’s total exceeds 21
The second card game that we will be discussing today is something called baccarat. It is one of the oldest table games in the world. It’s even the favorite of the legendary spy James Bond. It was featured in the 1953 novel debut of
Casino Royale and later in various franchise movies like GoldenEye and Doctor No.
In a lot of ways, baccarat is a lot like blackjack. For instance, the winning hand has to have a value that’s as close to 9 as possible (it’s 21 in blackjack). Also, just like blackjack, every single card has a specific value. For example in caccarat, the cards from 2 to 9 can be taken at face value. Jacks, Queens, Kings, and tens are worth 0 points, and an ace is worth 1 Point.
Unlike the other offerings on this list, this action-packed, fast-paced game is played with a pair of dice. It begins with all players making their bets. This must be done before the shooter, the player who throws the dice, does their job. When the shooter 7 outs, the dice is given to another player who becomes the new shooter.
There are several versions of this game. The proponents of each variation will argue tirelessly about why their favorite version should be considered the best one of them all. So, for the sake of argument (or rather to prevent one) we’ve listed several below. They include:
- Pai Gow Poker: This compelling game is an interesting mixture of two games, American poker and the Chinese game of Pai Gow. Pai Gow’s objective is to come up with the best two player hands. Gamers utilize a traditional 52-card deck, with the addition of one joker. This joker is used as either a wild card or an ace to make a flush or a straight.
- Let it Ride Poker: This game was inspired by the classic poker game, Five Card Stud. But, in this version, players are able to control two of the three wagers made on the game. Gamers put three bets on the table and they get 3 cards from the dealer, who also deals two community cards. In addition, players aren’t playing against their fellow tablemates or the dealer. The objective is to get the best poker hand you can, using the two community cards and the three cards that are dealt to you.
- Three Card Poker: Like the Pai Gow version, this one is two games in one. It offers gamers four ways to win and three ways to bet. The first thing that gamers must do is make an ante bet. Once that happens, each gamer (including the dealer) gets three cards. They then are able to make extra bets or fold, which automatically forfeits the ante.
Do you agree with our choice for the most popular casino table games? Which ones have you played already on sites like Red Flush online casino? Which ones are you willing to give a try? Share your thoughts in the comments below.