Online Slots Trends Inspired by Video Games
The online gambling industry is always evolving and one area that is seeing a lot of change and growth is online casino slots. Software developers are always looking at ways to make their games better. This includes top-notch graphics, enhanced gameplay, and even the introduction of bonus features to make the gameplay more entertaining. New features and functions are one thing and use the latest technology help software developers stay on top of things, but over the past number of years, they have been looking at other areas too to help increase engagement in their games, and this area has been video games.
More and more software providers are looking at skill-based gaming and introducing elements of this into their slots. What we are seeing is a new alternative to the tried and tested chance-based casino games. Video games require skill and they are enjoyed by millions of people around the world every day. We’ve even seen the rise in popularity of eSports – competitive video gaming – and online casinos want to get in on the action and attract millennials.
Skill-based slots rewards skill rather than players relying solely on luck. Developers want games that engage players and immerse them in the storyline. The rise in popularity of Netflix and social media platforms has given players something else to do and software developers are also competing against popular video games like Fortnite, Call of Duty, and more. Because of this, software developers for the online gambling industry are having to push the boundaries and come up with new innovative features for their slots games.
Online Slots Trends
Below are some of the latest trends in online slots.
- Storylines and Characters: Video games are the inspiration behind slot machines that are centered around stories with several characters and Canadians love these games. Some free slot machines give players the option to choose how the storyline unfolds which makes betting on these games more stimulating. Examples of games with storylines and character-based narratives include Max Quest: Wrath of Ra and Holy Diver. The idea is to give players more control and allow them to experience the fun that comes with video gaming.
- Multi-Player: Multi-player titles let players compete against their friends. RealTime Gaming’s Fish Catch is one such game and players must shoot fish to win prizes. It can be played alone or against friends.
- Virtual Reality: VR is growing in popularity with the release of devices such as the Samsung Gear and software developers and online casinos are looking to release titles to compete with this market too. In 2017, Pragmatic Play released Sugar Rush VR where payers can interact with 3D characters and look around the 3D world while they are spinning the reels. Microgaming and NetEnt have also been developing virtual reality slots.
- High Variance: Competing with the video gaming market has shown casino software developers that their games have to offer entertainment, thrills, and anticipation and to achieve this, many developers have increased the variance of their games. They pay out less often, but the wins are much bigger when they do. Players never know when the next big win is coming, and this adds to the excitement.
Online Casino Slots Based on Video Games
It’s an exciting time for the online casino industry and the online gambling industry as a whole. Graphics and technology are getting better and better and many games now feature immersive soundtracks and features that keep players entertained for longer. The days of classic slots are going, and casino video games are making their mark. Players can try casino games for free to have some fun or if they want to play for real money prizes, they have that option too. Below are our favorite video game slots and you can find the latest online gambling information on our site to stay up to date.
- Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Secret of the Sword: While many players still enjoy the original game, this new video game inspired slot is a treat. Available for mobile and desktop players, Microgaming’s has created this stunning 5 reel, 30 payline title. It comes with wilds, scatters, and players can randomly trigger five free spins. The passport symbols on the middle row of the reels unlock a bonus pick’em game and players have to search for hidden sword pieces to win multipliers, cash prizes, and access to the other bonus features included in this slot. What’s more, Microgaming is in the process of developing an all-new Lara Croft video slot that will be available later in 2019.
- Hitman: There’s nothing more exciting than a world of assassins and danger at every turn and this is what Microgaming bring to the table in their Hitman slot. Based on the video game of the same name, players get to take on the life of Agent 47 in this 5 reel, 15 payline slot. The game features weapons, cash, notebooks with target details, and more. The Contract bonus feature lets players choose their targets and weapons and they are rewarded with a huge bonus for their kill. The high-quality graphics and thrilling soundtrack add to the thrill of this online casino game and you can play for real or for real money.
- Crystal Rift: Many players will know this title as a challenging horror video game, but Rabcat has created their own online slot version that comes with 5 reels and 25 paylines. The symbols are al crystals and the action takes place in a dungeon. There aren’t any monsters to scare you, but the excitement and thrill come from winning real money and the bonus features. The Bonus Falls feature sees winning symbols disappear from the reals with more symbols falling into place to give you extra wins. The Wild Grid feature sees symbols turning into wilds for huge wins too.
- Vikings: This is a new NetEnt slot that was released in December 2018. The slot includes a movie beginning to explain the backstory just like a video game and then you dive into the five reels to match symbols and win cash prizes. Stacked wilds are a big feature in this online slot, and you can trigger the free Rapid Spins bonus round too. During the free spins bonus round, the reels transform and players get to enjoy 7 reels, with 5 rows and a massive 78,125 ways to win. Mega wins are guaranteed in this video game slot.
- Resident Evil: Created by PartyGaming, this is a 5 reel, 20 payline video game inspired slot that features characters from the movie and the video game. It also comes with a wild symbol and three bonus games. The Resident Evil logo symbol is the wild and if you land three or more umbrellas you get to shoot a range of enemies and earn cash prizes for the ones you take out. You keep killing until you meet the Boss where you get to kill him too. What could be more exciting?
Interesting. I remember playing in an in-game casino in GTA San Andreas using in-game money. It was cool. A lot of popular video games incorporated this gambling concept. I have a feeling that Online Casino Slots in Video Games will be more involved with real money in the future.