If you are not that internet savvy and just followed the herd when the internet got easier and faster, you could be wondering if fiber optic is worth the hype. This is one of those things that if you don’t know, it’s because you don’t need it. For those that know they do, it sees the end of buffering forever and considerable time saved waiting for the latest gaming sensation to download only to find it won’t play.
In the contemporary world, being connected to the internet has become a necessity. Almost every house and workplace is equipped with broadband.
Broadband packages and deals differ but the most prominent selling feature is the download speed. This is the rate at which data requests are sent and processed by an internet server and data sent back for you to download and display. It never used to matter. There wasn’t the technology around to make data move faster. Now there is and it could easily be what you have been waiting to upgrade to.
Download speed at megabytes per second (Mb/ps) divides broadband into four major categories:
- Standard: Standard is the basic level of broadband often called ADSL, with an average download speed of 10-11Mb/ps.
- Fast Fiber-Optic: Fast fiber-optic is faster than standard with a speed of 35-36Mb/ps. It is delivered to your homes and offices through glass or plastic wires.
- Super Fast Fiber-Optic: Superfast fiber-optic is also delivered to your place through fiber wiresto but it has a higher speed of 63Mb/ps.
- Ultrafast Fiber-Optic Broadband: This is the fastest level of broadband with a minimum average speed of 100 Mb per second.
To find the best broadband available in your area you can save time and considerable effort using online comparison tools. Many comparison sites can now help you compare the best broadband offers and find what would convince you to switch.
Switching broadband is not difficult. It usually takes around 10 working days for your request for new broadband supplier to be processed.
- In most instances, there is no need for an engineer to visit. You plug in your new kit and enjoy internet surfing from new broadband instantly.
- Sometimes technical assistance is needed. In which case, it can be a matter of a couple of hours before the switch is complete although you will lose your internet connection for the duration.
- It is always better to inform your previous broadband provider you are switching to close the account, but in most cases, it’s not a requirement. Your account will be automatically terminated after a set period of inactivity.
- Some broadband providers provide a router free of charge with each new connection but there are providers who charge. Consider such additional costs when making your decision.
It’s easy to get swept up in the idea that your home needs the fastest broadband possible even if you are a small household. You may not, just yet. But the truth is, even in the average family there are already multiple devices. Between the Smart TV, games consoles and tablets, laptops and phones, sticking with low-speed broadband can result in a frustrating time trying to do anything on the internet.
Leave a Comment