A Beginner’s Guide to Playing Online Casinos
Do you like to play the slots or try your hand at blackjack? With online casinos, you don’t ever need to leave your house!
Online casinos are internet versions of the traditional gambling houses. They allow players to play and bet on casino games such as slot-machine games, black jack, roulette and other table games – all in cyberspace on your computer, phone or tablet.
If this sounds like something you might be interested in, here is a beginner’s guide to get you started:
How do Online Casinos Work?
Online casinos offer the same games as traditional casinos and are licensed to follow rules and guidelines that protect players from being frauded – more on that later. Players can register with the casino to create money accounts that allow them to place wagers and collect any winnings – or to pay out their losses.There are two main types of online casinos: Web-based or “flash casinos” that are played right in your browser, or casinos where you download the software to play.
In addition, some casinos offer live dealer casino games in real time from an actual casino and come to you via a streaming link. Players can bet via their computers and use a text chat to communicate with the dealer.
There are hundreds of online casino options. According to Casino.org, these are the top five online casinos: World Winner, Slotomania, Huuuge, MyJackpot.com, and Vera Vegas. The Website said they based this on security, bonuses, fast payouts and reliable payouts. Other examples of online casinos: Bovada Casino; Uptown Aces and Intertops Casino Classic.
There are also mobile casinos that you can put on your phone. There are some great apps available, such as 918kiss (scr888). While gambling apps are not allowed in the App store, you can download on your phone from your browser.
When choosing a game from any one of these online casinos, you should ask yourself the following questions:
- What game do I want to play and does the casino have it available?
- Will the casino ensure my protection? Does it feature online fair play practices?
- Is the casino known to be reliable? Is it licensed?
Choosing the right online casino should be fairly easy. You want one that has a good reputation, offers a decent welcome bonus, is known for paying out quickly and has a good level of customer support for players. You also want one that is regulated by the UK Gambling Commission, the Malta Gaming Authority, or here in the U.S., a gaming commission in a specific state.
Once you determine all of this you are ready to get started!
Registering at a site
Players need to be of the legal gambling age in the country or location where the casino is located. Terms & Conditions should be listed on the Web site. You will need to have a credit card you can register with the casino and a valid email address.
You can also use payment services such as Neteller, Moneybooker and Click2Pay. They are easy to use and add another layer of security.
One of the main reasons players lose money is bad bankroll management. If you have bad luck and get your bankroll wiped away you will be in trouble. Think about playing a good minimum such as a bet size that allows at least 50 bets, hands or spins of the games you play. Most sites also have a “join now” button and you should start there to provide contact information. Instead of clogging up personal email, create a separate email just for the casino account.
Many online casinos offer sign-up bonuses for beginning players making their first deposit. However, this is not just “free cash.” There are usually wagering requirements that stipulate that players must wager a certain minimum amount before they are allowed to withdraw money.
You can actually test games without making a deposit. Not all casinos offer free versions of their games, but many do. This allows you to try out the games – and the casino – without paying a dime.Here are some tips to think about when playing – and winning:
- Know the odds: Knowing the odds of a game gives you an edge on other players.
- Free stuff for regulars: Gamble regularly at the same casino and you can earn things like loyalty gifts, cash back, and even perks like electronics, bonuses and vacations.
- Research the Jackpot: If you are playing a casino that has a big jackpot, you can do some simple detective work to figure out when the largest jackpots are awarded. If you keep track of that, you might be able to move the odds of your winning to your favor.
- Beat the house at its own game: Stick to games that give you a better chance of winning, such as baccarat, video poker and blackjack. Games like slots have a longer shot at winning.
- Play in peak condition: Take regular breaks, don’t drink alcohol, and be well-rested to help you focus better and keep your concentration fresh.
- Practice before you play. Unless you already are a professional at the game that you choose, you should not be risking real money until you practice the game. Most online casinos will offer free versions of their games, so make use of that and practice before playing for real dollars.
What are Some of the More Popular Games?• Blackjack: Also known as “21,” Blackjack is a card game usually played between several players and a dealer, where each player in turn competes against the dealer, but players do not play against each other. It is played with one or more decks of 52 cards. The objective of the game is to beat the dealer in one of the following ways: Get 21 points on the player’s first two cards; reach a final score higher than the dealer without going above 21; or let the dealer draw additional cards until their hand is more than 21.
- Baccarat: The card game involves the “player” and the “banker.” Each baccarat round of play has three possible outcomes: “player” (player has the higher score), “banker,” and “tie.”
- Craps is a dice game in which the players make wagers on the outcome of the roll, or a series of rolls, of a pair of dice.
- Keno: Players wager by choosing numbers ranging from 1 through 80. After all players make their wagers, 20 numbers are drawn at random, either with a ball machine similar to ones used for lotteries or bingo, or with a random number generator.
- Poker: Poker is a family of card games that combines gambling, strategy, and skill. All poker variants involve betting as an intrinsic part of play, and determine the winner of each hand according to the combinations of players’ cards, at least some of which remain hidden until the end of the hand.
- Roulette: In Roulette, players may choose to place bets on either a single number, various groupings of numbers, the colors red or black, whether the number is odd or even, or if the numbers are high (19–36) or low (1–18). To determine the winning number and color, a croupier spins a wheel in one direction, then spins a ball in the opposite direction around the outer edge of the wheel. The ball eventually falls onto the wheel and into one of 38 colored and numbered sections on the wheel.
- Slot machines: Slot machines are also known as “one-armed bandits” because they were originally operated by one lever on the side of the machine, as distinct from a button on the front panel, and because of their ability to leave the player with very little money or in debt.
- Wheel of Fortune: The wheel of fortune slot machine also has a bonus game that allows players to spin the wheel while answering puzzles. As they do this, players can accumulate prizes and bonuses.
Be able to ‘talk the talk’
Online casinos/gambling comes with its own language. Knowing the terms would help you keep up with the other players and it will also protect you from professional players who are looking to make a quick buck with beginners.
A final word of caution: Beware of fraudulent casinos! As with everything, there are rogue casinos. You can check online to see if there are complaints about the one you have chosen. Look for ones about payment delays or not being paid at all! Also look for:
- If your casino is licensed – it should be and it should be displayed on the Web site.
- Your casino should offer a full range of payment options – Mastercard and Visa, as well as e-Wallet systems such as PayPal, Neteller and Moneybooker. If they only offer one or two payment options, remain skeptical.
If you take all of this into consideration, you can have a lot of fun with online casinos – and maybe even win that big jackpot!