There’s no denying that technology has changed the way we conduct business permanently. The changes, however, were unexpected. Reading up on the literature on artificial intelligence and technological advances, you’ll find that most scientists expected computers to completely replace human workers.
This hasn’t panned out, however. Today, unemployment in most western countries is at its lowest level in history. This is due to the fact that while computers are really good at some things, it is impossible for them to do other tasks, and the best way to use technology is not to replace humans, but rather, integrate them and make them useful to workers. A great example of this was the development of a chess-playing AI.
While computers have been able to defeat human players for decades now, there’s a class of players they can’t beat. Human players that play with the help of AI algorithms beat computers who work alone, and this has been emblematic of the progression of the wider tech industry. Humans working with computers and AI almost always perform better than AI or humans working alone, and there are hundreds of professional companies like CSHARK that help companies become more productive by developing useful software programs for them. This article will help you recognize areas where adopting technology will help your employees work more efficiently:
#1 Automating Menial and Repetitive Tasks
Automating menial tasks is one of the most obvious benefits of technology. Computers are really good at doing well-defined and repetitive tasks.
- Emails: one thing that changed the face of emails forever was the smart and effective spam-filters that started getting used in most modern-day email service providers. These algorithms filtered out useless ads and scam emails from your main inbox. Nowadays, you rarely see these emails in your main inbox. If you’re relying on your email daily, you’ll be saving hours each week not having to deal with these emails.
- Filing and sorting: if you’ve ever searched for an obscure book in a big library or had to sift through documents searching for a particular paper, you’ll know how time-consuming is this task. Not only this, but physical documents have a much shorter shelf life and are much costlier to maintain. Technology has completely eliminated all of this. You can access any digital document your business has created since its inception in a matter of minutes. This has made employees much more productive.
The Internet was first developed because the government needed a way to quickly share information between scientists and different agencies. The importance of information-sharing can’t be overstated, and it has had a major impact on employees’ productivity:
- No need for long meetings: the fact that communication is easier makes the need for long meetings redundant. The literature about meetings has always been mixed, most data showed that meetings were hardly productive and wasted everyone’s time. People were also disoriented by meetings and became less productive. Nowadays, you can disperse information very quickly and easily, and you don’t need to hold meetings as often.
- Everyone on the same page: it was really hard to ensure everyone in the company was on the same page and had the most up-to-date information. Now, you can email or message your workers all the latest updates, and you can expect all of them to be up-to-date in a day. This minimizes misinformation and increases productivity.
- Easier collaboration: multiple people working on the same project can be very messy unless they are constantly informing each other about the latest changes they’ve made and what they are working on. Thanks to current-day technology, the project data automatically gets updated as you work on it, and all employees are in-sync. This eliminates redundancy and facilitates more productive work.
Gamification refers to turning tasks into game-like programs. This not only increases focus and productivity, but it is also becoming one of the crucial learning methods used everywhere around the world. Now, even big tech companies are starting to use them for their onboarding programs to get new employees up to speed. The advantages of this new method far outweigh the investments you need to make to make them work.
Although, designing the programs for your own business can be hard, especially if you don’t play games and don’t realize how they work. You need to look at a successful game that keeps the players focused, has clear objectives, and rewards that incentivize players to keep going. One such game is League of Legends. You can buy cheap League of Legends accounts and try out the game to see how they’ve implemented all of this successfully and try to create tutorials and onboarding programs that replicate some aspects of the game.