The Development of Virtual Reality: What’s Next?
Virtual reality is a huge brave world, in which we have not even looked into. Although a certain interpretation of virtual reality can be understood as the Internet in a whole meaning, in reality, its potential is much greater. This is a place where a person can dive completely and find there much more than in real life, and also not thinking about distinguishing the virtual from the real.
Until recently, VR was majorly represented by four brands – Oculus Rift from Oculus VR, HTC Vive from HTC, Sony PlayStation VR and mobile helmets for smartphones running Android. These are numerous devices without their own processor and screen, using the screen and the computing power of smartphones.
On October 17, 2017, the Windows Mixed Reality platform, which became part of the October Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, was added to all of this. Microsoft uses the name Mixed Reality for its VR / AR products.
At the moment, Windows helmets based on Windows Mixed Reality have released Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Samsung.
The main advantage of virtual reality is the effect of immersion. What the creators of video games are so diligently and painfully trying to achieve is immanently inherent in all VR games.
The “wow effect” is provided to any VR content more or less neatly made. Impressions of the fact that you literally got into the future are so strong that users forgive some dampness of the hardware platform and content.
What Problems Does VR Face Nowadays?
First, the high price. A good VR helmet is a very expensive pleasure. A set with controllers will cost about $ 400-600, plus you need a good powerful computer or a PlayStation 4 console.
VR is primarily a game. In comparison with other platforms, there are few of them, especially successful ones. Still, for game developers, VR is a new universe, and no one can now be called of great experience in developing VR games. It takes time to find a new ideology, new gameplay, new game mechanics.
There are unresolved technical problems.
- First, it is the wires. The speed of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is not enough to transfer high-resolution 3D images from a computer to a VR helmet, so you have to use cables.
- Secondly, the insufficient power of video cards and insufficiently high screen resolution. Because of this, there are delays, the picture is late for the movement of the head, and in some scenes, the image is blurred, the pixels become visible.
All these arguments lead to the fact that with the long use of the VR helmet, some users start to feel dizzy and their eyes get very tired.
Currently, all new models of wireless VR headsets are being developed: screen resolution is improving, helmets are becoming completely autonomous, getting rid of uncomfortable wires. The quantity and quality of entertainment content are growing, controllers are being improved. Also on the market are products and technologies that are designed to save a person from the onset of nausea, which is among the main disadvantages of virtuality.
What Do Experts Suggest?
According to many experts, virtual reality technology has not even come close to the peak of its development. However, areas of their potential application are already clearly visible. In addition to video games, you can highlight such areas as:
- Live broadcasts. One of the main directions of development of VR. The most interesting events, both sporting and cultural, can be personally “seen”, being anywhere without buying expensive tickets.
- Movies. It is expected that VR devices will create a revolution in the film industry, allowing viewers to “watch movies from the inside,” rather than from the outside.
- Sales. The effect of personal presence will allow people to save time when shopping, remotely inspecting apartments, cars and other items sold.
- Education. Virtual reality technology can make learning more interesting. For example, students may be able to “see firsthand” the various events described in history books.
- Health. In the medicine industry, VR devices can be used for virtual patient admission, psychotherapy, etc.
- Military industry. With the help of VR devices, soldiers will be able to learn martial art tactics in conditions as close as possible to real ones.
If we talk in numbers, the statistics of sales of devices for virtual reality shows that only in Russia, for example, the demand for computer equipment with virtual reality support last year increased by 192% compared with the previous period. This also directly proves that there is a need for the development of virtual reality and it is very great.