Overgrowth – Insane fun for Steam and DRM-free launch and 30% off!
After 9 years of development, Overgrowth (known for its ninja rabbit combat) finally launched on October 16 at 11 a.m. Pacific time for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Overgrowth is developed by Wolfire Games, which was started by the twin brother of one of Humble Bundle’s founders.
Overgrowth is an absurdly ambitious 3D action game featuring a surreal mix of cute talking animals, bone-crunching bloody kung fu violence, and a rabbit protagonist who can effortlessly run along walls and leap fifty feet in a single bound.
I had a chance to play Overgrowth over the weekend and I can that it’s exactly as advertised–insane fun with third person platforming, stealth, combat, and adventure elements. And yes, the mix of anthropomorphized bunnies and a bit of gore is definitely really strange – and I’m still undecided if it takes away from or adds to the gameplay – but at least said gameplay is really fun, which is the most important thing.
A Few Noteworthy Facts:
- Launch Sale: Humble has a special 30% off launch sale for Overgrowth for one week, starting at its launch on October 16 at 11 a.m. Pacific time.
- Extra Free Game: Buying Overgrowth also gets you a free copy of Wolfire Games’ realistic first-person, gun-handling simulator, Receiver.
- The Story Is In: Overgrowth‘s last Beta has not been released and finally includes the full Overgrowth story campaign. View the Overgrowth Beta 6 trailer here.
- Graphics Tech: Overgrowth uses its own proprietary rendering engine that includes features absent from even AAA game engines: such as dripping blood physics, refractive rain drops, swirling volumetric fog layers, true MSAA anti-aliasing, perfectly smooth slow-motion interpolation, and simulated flame streaks.
- Physics Tech: The Overgrowth engine has a strong focus on detailed physics simulation that run at 120 updates per second, and use constraints to replicate characters’ muscle movements and other special effects (like being impaled by weapons or spikes).
- LOTS OF AWESOME MODS: All of the levels in the game were created using a built-in level editor, which is included for everyone to try. This, combined with Steam Workshop integration, means that there is a wealth of fan-made content to enjoy. View a video summarizing some of them here.
- For example: Therium 2 (full story campaign mod) is a full polished fan-made story that takes several hours to complete.